Pages

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Simply a moment! June 16th 2013

I wrote this today, in response to my recollection of the Civic Service I attended this morning.  The Mayoress was the first person I met when I came to live in Wellington and was looking for a new church to join.  I immediately felt the warmth and comfort which emanated throughout the rooms and knew at once I had come home. At simplyalexa you are encouraged to share your own "Simply a Moment"

Here is mine......

Simply a moment!

The room was full to bursting, seats packed into every nook and cranny, all facing the beautiful triptych window at the end of the room.  Voices murmured softly, sending hushed sound rippling over the heads of the assembly, all dressed in their Sunday best.  Garbed in an array of kaleidoscopic colours, brights and pastels.  Some ladies wore hats of varying shades to match their outfits, others sported coiffure hairstyles or were wrapped in matching shawls.  The children, dressed in pretty frilly dresses or bow ties and waistcoats sat at the front, patiently, awaiting the signal to sit up straight and face the front.  The mellow tones of the organ burst into life with a short introduction piece, while waiting for the dignitaries to enter.  

The music stopped!

Reverend Sturdy brought the assembled congregation to a standing position ready to introduce the new Mayor and Mayoress of the Borough of Telford,  who led the procession of leaders and other dignitaries slowly into the room. The Mayor, a quiet, dedicated man who has served the community for many years.  His new chains of office sat comfortably around his neck giving him a strong and dignified presence.  His wife, attractive in white jacket and patterned dress in pastel shades of lavender and lilac, walked by his side 

Everyone tried to view the procession, through gaps between or over the heads of others. The chains of the other Civic leaders, from various local Councils, shone in the light enhancing their suited figures.  Their spouses or partners were equally garbed, Following them were senior members of the Church taking their seats one by one filling the rows at the front of the room.

The Reverend welcomed them, gave a short introduction to this “Civic Service”  before he introduced the first hymn.  The organ again burst into life, lifting the congregation to their feet; and the opening words of the hymn rang out loud and clear!  

The Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder 
consider all the works thy hand hath made,
I see the stars, I hear the mighty thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to thee,
how great thou art, how great thou art!

Jean Green. Sunday 16th June 2013     

6 comments:

  1. Hello, Jeanie! And lovely to find you had linked up and shared such a bright and vivid moment from your community. Clearly lots of interest and pride in the service, and your description captures many things a photo would miss. Thank-you so much for joining in and it is a pleasure to discover your lovely blog. Looking forward to popping back regularly :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that there is a place for you to feel at home in your community! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great piece of writing - I loved your descriptions of what everyone was wearing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful moment Jeanie! That song always gives me goosebumps!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely moment beautifully written. I love that hymn and will be singing it all day now...not a bad thing really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that has to be one of my favourite hymns so as soon as I saw the words I was singing them! Made my day that has!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and leaving some blog love!